In ReviewTourism Whitsundays is currently working with Whitsunday Regional Council to advocate for a six month special marketing fund to help the region with positive messaging. We continue to receive reports from members that business is down 13 to 25 per cent and the forward projections don’t look to improve. The latest incident is causing significant concern about the impact to medium - and long-term tourism visitation. It’s not necessarily about cancellations - the constant negative media coverage sees the destination moved off ‘to do’ travel lists all together and the loss of potential visitors is something that can’t be measured. To help us with our business case, we are asking our industry if you have experienced any impacts to business over the last 6-12 months, could you please send details through to us. We need to cover the following items:
- What cancellations have been received
- Dollar ($) value of the cancellations
- Number of jobs that have been let go or not replaced due to the impacts of the past 12 months
Impacts could be experienced by all businesses in the Whitsundays whether that be accommodation, tour, restaurant or service sector. In a destination like ours, we are all in the business of tourism. So please if you have data that you think might be relevant, please send through.
Congratulations to Butto and the team of volunteers at the Airlie Beach Festival of Music for putting on another fantastic event. It was great to see Airlie Beach buzzing over the weekend with live music and people. This event contributes significant economic benefit to our region, at a time of year that was once very quiet. Headline acts this year included Marcia Hines, Kasey Chambers, Smash Mouth and Killing Heidi. The Melbourne Ska Orchestra put on a brilliant show and had the crowd roaring. Well done to all involved!
The Queensland State Government Expression of Interest for the Ecotrail on Whitsunday Island closes on 30 November. If you are interested in putting in an application for this opportunity, ensure you do by 30 November. Afterwards no applications will be received. The application could be as simple as a program hiking with tents, or it could be a glamping style set up. For more information click here.
This week we have the Australian Fishing Championships (AFC) back in region thanks to a financial partnership between Tourism Whitsundays and the AFC. Thursday will be the official launch in Proserpine welcoming the fishing champions and the NRL all stars, Friday they will be competing on Lake Proserpine and showcasing to the world why Lake Proserpine is one of the best barramundi fishing impoundments; Saturday they will be heading out on the ocean then finishing up Saturday night with a wrap up party at the Grand View Hotel!
Over the last week Tourism Whitsundays hosted in region Escape Travel from the Sunday Mail who came to experience the Airlie Beach Music Festival, Bowen, Airlie Beach and Islands. We then had Penny Watson in region who was writing for camp sites of Australia. We also had thanks to Tourism and Events Queensland Mark Fitz, digital influencer in region who captured the magnificent walks from the new walks on the islands to Cape Edgecombe in Bowen. Thank you to all our members who supported these famils, we look forward to seeing this content distributed!
The New Zealand School of Tourism visited the region with a group of 19 students and their trainer to learn more about business and growth in the Whitsundays as well as sustainability and the environment. Thank you to the members that housed them for their visit and participated in the site inspections and Q & A sessions. This was the schools’ second visit to the Whitsundays this year and we are eager to welcome them again with their next recruitment of tourism students.
Congratulations to all the students who graduated from the 2018 VAK8 program and a big thank you to our industry for taking the school students into their businesses and giving them a taste of tourism. We hope this program will encourage the future generations what a rewarding career tourism can be.
Tonight (Wednesday 14 November) is the Adventure Tourism Awards on the Gold Coast, our CEO Tash Wheeler will be down there ready to celebrate with the Whitsunday operators. Then Friday night (17 November) is the annual Queensland Tourism Awards where our industry are up for a number of awards across a variety of categories. Congrats to everyone for entering these awards and we wish you all the best of luck!
Making the Most of your Membership
Please find below a list of opportunities available for you to get involved with. If you're unsure if these are for you and want to know more, let us know.
Find out more
- RSVP to the Tourism Whitsundays Christmas Party hosted by The Reef Gateway Hotel here.
- Read the latest media release from Daydream Island Resort - Countdown to Daydream Island Resort Opening 2019
- Airlie Beach Foreshore Revitalisation - Project Update
- Join The Last Straw on the Great Barrier Reef Campaign
- Expressions of interest are now open for QTIC Tourism and Hospitality Mature Aged Program. Read the project scope here and complete the EOI Form here
- Tourism Whitsundays (TW) Members are invited to participate in the latest edition of the International Product Manual. The International Product Manual is the key tool used across the globe to provide inspiration to our trade partners. Showcasing our hero experiences, key products, a bucket list of must sees and dos, as well as key information on how to gain access to the region. Contact Aimee for more information.
- Tourism Whitsunday and #GoBareboating are hosting Christmas lunches for the Australian Society of Travel Writers in December, if you are interested in contributing give away prizes and promoting your product to the Travel Writer attendees contact Aimee.
- Tourism Whitsundays are creating a “Crew Guide to Airlie Beach", an informative document for Cruise Ship staff to encourage them to disembark, if your business would like to offer an exclusive special offer to Cruise Ship Staff contact Natasha.
- Tourism and Events Queensland will be shining the spotlight on Queensland’s best tourism experiences in January 2019 when the first Best of Queensland Experiences are announced.
Whilst the eligibility criterion has now been finalised, it is time for all members with an active ATDW listing to work on achieving and maintaining the minimum 80 points to be included in the program. See an example report here of how your business will be assessed, and for any further information please contact Haylee.
- Express your interest to be apart of the Queensland on Tour Greater China 2019. Read the prospectus here.
- Expression of Interest to join Tourism Whitsundays on a dedicated Whitsundays stand at the upcoming 2019 Caravan, Camping and Touring Supershows
- Have you created your ATDW listing? A 12 month subscription has been included in your membership contact Haylee
- Advertising Opportunity - Website Advertising 2018/19
- Advertising Opportunity – Whitsunday Transit Bus Advertising - Christmas Holiday Edit! Bookings close COB Friday 16th Nov 2018!
- Renew or enquire about the benefits of membership with Tourism Whitsundays - 2018/19 Membership Prospectus is now available contact the Haylee for more information.
Stories from around the World
|Here is a list of workshops available in the Whitsundays for you and your teams. If you have a workshop you would like to promote, please send through to us.|
Money Money Money
Please find below information on grants and funding:
- Empowering Families Innovation Fund aims to generate ideas for new initiatives, programs or ways of working that will help keep Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children safe, well and connected to family, kin, culture and country.
- The Regional Arts Development Fund (RADF) is a partnership between Whitsunday Regional Council and the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, which invests in quality arts and cultural experiences across Queensland based on locally determined priorities.
- The Community Assistance Grant recognises the important role volunteer based organisations have in the region and how Council can best support their endeavours.
- The Sport & Recreation Financial Support for Elite Athletes is available for all residents currently residing within the Whitsunday Regional Council Local Government Area.
- The Queensland Destination Events Program (QDEP), is available to increase the funding for your regional event.
- Gambling Community Benefit Fund, allocates grants to not-for-profit community groups, to enhance their capacity to provide services, leisure activities and opportunities for Queensland communities.
- The Current Grant Opportunity List contains all current Grant Opportunities (GOs) open for application.
- The Grants Hub, the award-winning grants directory and team that makes finding funding easy.
- The National Australia Bank Foundation is a private charitable trust with a vision to support greater social innovation in how societal challenges are tackled. By providing financial grants and other valuable in-kind support, we see ourselves as an ‘enabler’ - enabling for-purpose organisations to incubate and scale new, innovative and sustainable ways of solving problems.
- Small Business Digital Grants Program provides small businesses with access to digital technologies and services to enable them to work smarter, engage with the global economy and make the most of online business opportunities arising from digital disruption.
- Business.gov.au contains grant assistance and other support.
- Regional Development Australia collates information on upcoming grants from government, corporate, philanthropic and private sectors.
What's coming up in the Whitsundays
|The Whitsundays as a destination has a multitude of events and activities at any one time. Below is a list of events that are coming up over the next two months from regional consumer, cruise ships and Tourism Whitsundays corporate events. If you have an event that you would like added, please load to ATDW or contact us on how to do it.|
Careers in Tourism
Living in a small region, we want to ensure we keep the skills and knowledge local. If you have positions you would like to advertise, click here.
For tips on applying for jobs in tourism, visit the website.